Saturday 3 October 2009

Life as a freelancer

Picture this..... its the night before your rent is due and your client has been late in putting the invoice through.... you don't sleep. Life as a freelancer is intense. You are your own boss, the big cheese and you have the world at your feet, but your living in fear.

Last month was different though, you managed to get enough paid work to cover all your expenses and allow you to live a little, but those contracts are finished now and for the past two weeks you've frantically been trying to get new clients. Sending emails, calling people, handing out business cards........ begging for the smallest scrap of work.

So far I have 3 clients that I work for, but the work is infrequent and its all little jobs, nothing to keep me busy for the next few months. Tomorrow is another day though and this could all change, who knows?! Your full of confidence and belief because you have to be, if not then your going to fail.

After working as an in house designer and getting a distinction in my masters degree I had to give it a go. I'm doing it for the experience and I'd recommend it to anybody. The learning curve is incredibly steep and you quickly learn how to (not) approach people and businesses. Time management is a key component of working for yourself and a crucial skill to have.

I promised myself i'd give it a go until the end of the year and i'm determined to see it through, until then wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment